Welcome to the POS portal!
by Wesley Davis
Small businesses are challenged in many ways as they try to thrive in a competitive environment. At the backbone of every business, small or large, is a good system
to handle all facets of company business: ranging from sales, to sales tracking, reports, employee management, the list goes on and on. Commonly referred to as a POS system
(point-of-sales, not to be confused with the other acronym), they are designed to handle all of these tasks and more. Modern iterations of the POS systems are limited
because they are susceptible to "down time" from software updates, security breaches, LAN disruptions, etc. With that said, this system is dubbed "uPOS", since it is made for the
users, by a user.
The purpose of this project is to create a more efficient POS system-one that will not cripple an entire company happens to the business.
Another main goal of this is to make an easy-to-understand UI and allow for improvements to be made easily based on the needs of the business owner. The former will be
accomplished by creating a web-based POS, which means the only thing limiting the system is access to the internet. Outages and "down time" are virtually non-existent with
proper management. The latter will be assessed in the actual formation, using a minimalistic format which can easily be tailored to the needs of the user. The benefits of
using this sort of POS go far beyond simply improving the user experience and minimizing technical errors; businessmen that have to interact with clients on-the-go will be
able to easily access the system all the same, allowing for some much needed flexibility in small businesses.
In this project, I will designed a core POS system using various aspects of HTML web programming, PHP programming, CSS stylizing, and utilizing elements of SQL databases in
order to achieve this.
So, to break it down, the following are included in the project...
- A login page that checks the username (Shortname) and password
- A menu page with operation links to the various parts of the POS, which are listed as follows
- A page contoling the Start of Day for the POS, enabling all the functions to be used
- A sale page that allows you to choose the user, and allows the user to ring up the customer.
- A merchandise management page(s) that allows the user to track and find merchandise given the SKU. Managers can update records as necessary
- A manager's menu that allows for managers to access separate actions to resolve customer service issues. Additionally, options to access daily/weekly/monthly
reports will be made available.
- A clock-in/clock-out page that allows the employee to clock in/out and track their hours.
- A page controlling the end-of-day status for the POS, finalizing all the data used within one day
Other pages and resources will be incorporated into the project, which are itemized in the full report of this project.
So, there you have it. Click Here to continue to the project!
To download a startup file for Windows users and Android phones.
For Mac users, click here.